Monday, March 12, 2007

Surat Calvin kepada Farel


Strasbourg, October 1540

When your letter was brought to me, mine was already written; and although you will find that it does not agree in all points to what you require of me [i.e. to return to Geneva], I have thought it best to forward it you you, that you may be aware what my feeling were at that time when it arrived. Now, however, after I have seen you press the matter further, and that our former guests associate openly in the same cause, I have again had recourse to our magistracy. Having read over your letter and those of the Genevese, I asked what their opinion was now to be done. They answered that there could be no doubt that, without calling any previous meeting, I ought immediately to set out thither; for the question was not now open or doubtful, although it had not been formally settled. Therefore we prepare to start on the journey. In order, however, tht the present need of that church may be provided for, which we are not willing should continue destitute [until I (Calvin) can come], they are of opinion that Viret should by all means be sent for thither, in the meantime, while I am for the present distracted by another charge [in Strasbourg and the colloquies]. When we come back, our friends here will not refuse their consent to my return to Geneva. Moreover, Bucer has pledged himself that he will accompany me. I have written to them to that effect; and in order to make the promise all the more certain, Bucer has accompanied my letter by one from himself.

As to my intended course proceeding, this is my present feeling: had I the choice at my own disposal, nothing would be less agreeable to me than to follow your advice. But when I remember that I am not my own, I offer there is no ground for your apprehension that you will only get fine words. Our friends are in earnest and promise sincerely. And for myself, I protest that I have no other desire than that, setting aside all consideration of me, they may look only to what is most for the glory of God and the advantage of the church. Although I am not very ingenious, I not lack pretexts by which I might adroitly slip away, so that I should easily excuse myself in human sight. I am aware, however, that it is God with whom I have to do, from whose sight such crafty imaginations cannot be withheld. Therefore I submit my will and my affections, subdued and held fast, to the obedience of God. And whenever I am at a loss for counsel of my own, I submit myself to those by whom I hope that the Lord Himself will speak to me.

When Capito wrote, he supposed, as I perceive, that I would, in a lengthy and tiresome narrative, relate to you the whole course of our deliberation; but it is enough that you have the sum of it; although I would have done that also had there been time. But the whole day was taken up in various avocations. Now, after supper, I am not much inclined by sitting up longer to trifle with my health, which is at best in a doubtful state. This messenger has promised to return here at Christmas with the carriage, in which he can bring along with him to Wendelin, of the books which belong to him, ten copies of the Institution, six of [Oecolampadius’s] Commentaries on Jeremiah: these you will give to be brought away with him.

[Calvin’s Letter fo Farel]

Elsie Anne McKee, ed. John Calvin: Selections from His Writings. New York: HarperSanFrancisco, 2006. Pp. 16-18.

No comments:

Post a Comment