Thursday, February 8, 2007

A Midnight Prayer 2


How happy am I, O dear Lord Jesus,
while I experience no pleasure and satisfaction but in Thee.
But how much more so when,
although I receive
neither consolation,
nor delight,
nor sensible gratification in Thy service,
I still, in spite of all disgust, perservere in my spiritual excercises,
faithful to Thy grace.
It is thus, O Lord,
I prove that I love Thee for Thyself;
that I seek not human comfort, but to please Thee;
and that dying to self-satisfaction,
which is the natural life of the heart,
I make it my delight to please Thee,
and my true satisfaction to sacrifice my own for Thy love.
It is just, O Lord, that I should prefer Thy holy will to my own inclinations,
and that I should serve Thee more for Thyself
than any selfish motive.
This I desire, O Lord Jesus;
but do Thou give me courage to accomplish it,
and grant that henceforth I may prefer submission to Thy good pleasure
before every other consolation.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment